NVAA Schedule and Session Descriptions
Track 1: Foundation-Level Training
This is an intensive training designed to provide basic knowledge and skills for individuals with less than 3 years of experience in the field of victim services. Prior to attending this training, participants are expected to complete Pre-Academy readings and assignments (some of which will be available online). Estimated completion time is 5 hours. Upon completing Track 1, participants will have gained knowledge and skills to better serve victims and survivors of crime. Topics include:
- History of the victim services field.
- Basic victims’ rights and the justice system.
- Impact of crime on victims.
- Communicating with victims and survivors.
- Providing direct services to victims and survivors.
- Collaborating for victims’ rights and services.
- Cultural and spiritual competence.
- Ethics in victim services.
- Developing resilience.