Use this module to introduce participants to the basic elements of neurobiology and the parts of the brain affected by traumatic situations such as sexual assault. They will also learn about types of drastic reflexes and the relationship between assault and memory.
2 hours, 5 minutes
- Brain Circuitry (45 minutes)
- Reactions in Traumatic Situations (20 minutes)
- Drastic Survival Reflexes During Sexual Assault (30 minutes)
- Roles of Brain Circuitries in Trauma, Memory, and Healing (30 minutes)
By the end of this module, participants will be able to
- Describe the components of the brain related to trauma.
- Explain common ways the brain is affected during and after sexual assault.
- Recognize common ways a traumatic experience may affect a victim's behavior.
- Assist victims in understanding the neurobiology of trauma, when appropriate.