Unit 2: Introduction to Victim Impact: Victim Impact: Listen and Learn - OVC
Unit 2: Introduction to Victim Impact
Time Required: 2.5 hoursThis unit introduces many concepts that are essential to understanding the core curriculum: Who is a “victim”? What are “secondary” victims? What are the core victims' rights? What is a “ripple effect”?
Each unit uses varied learning strategies, including—
- Rights of Offenders versus Rights of Victims Activity (20 minutes)
- Crime Clock Activity (20 minutes)
- Defining Who Is a Victim (10 minutes)
- Who Is Harmed? The Ripple Effect (30 minutes)
- How Are People Harmed? Areas of Impact (30 minutes)
- “I Am Not a Victim” Activity (15 minutes)
- After the Crime (10 minutes)
- Review (15 minutes)
- Define primary and secondary victims.
- Discuss victims' rights.
- Have participants understand how the effects of crime ripple throughout a community.
- Discuss “areas of impact.”
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
- Facilitator Manual (Unit 2) (PDF, 280 KB)
- Participant Workbook (Unit 2) (PDF, 388 KB)
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Tools
- Appendix B (Crime Clock Activity) (PDF, 48.8 KB)
- Appendix C ("I Am Not a Victim" Activity) (PDF, 46.3 KB)
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?
Important! Read the facilitator's materials available on the right of your screen well before presenting the course to your audience. These materials contain preparation instructions essential to an effective training. (All other unit-specific materials and tools also are available at right.)
Create a folder for Victim Impact on your computer and download all the files you will need into that folder rather than using this Web site during the training.