Unit 2: Introduction to Victim Impact
Time Required: 2.5 hoursThis unit introduces many concepts that are essential to understanding the core curriculum: Who is a “victim”? What are “secondary” victims? What are the core victims' rights? What is a “ripple effect”?
Each unit uses varied learning strategies, including—
- Rights of Offenders versus Rights of Victims Activity (20 minutes)
- Crime Clock Activity (20 minutes)
- Defining Who Is a Victim (10 minutes)
- Who Is Harmed? The Ripple Effect (30 minutes)
- How Are People Harmed? Areas of Impact (30 minutes)
- “I Am Not a Victim” Activity (15 minutes)
- After the Crime (10 minutes)
- Review (15 minutes)
- Define primary and secondary victims.
- Discuss victims' rights.
- Have participants understand how the effects of crime ripple throughout a community.
- Discuss “areas of impact.”
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Tools
- Appendix B (Crime Clock Activity) (PDF, 48.8 KB)
- Appendix C ("I Am Not a Victim" Activity) (PDF, 46.3 KB)
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?