Unit 3: Property Crime
Time Required: 2.5 hours
This unit discusses property crime, the illegal taking or destroying of someone's property or land without threats or force.
Units 3 through 12 cover the 10 core crime areas and use varied learning strategies to convey material. Each of these units includes the following sections:
- What Is ..? This section covers a particular crime and provides definitions of relevant Words To Know.
- In the News: Crime Trends asks participants to examine crime statistics and talk about any they find surprising.
- Examples of .... This section provides case studies of crime victims and asks participants to consider, through either discussion or writing exercises, how they would feel if they or one of their family members was a victim of this crime.
- What's the Impact of ...? This section asks participants to consider the ripple effect of crime in four areas of impact: financial, physical, emotional, and religious/spiritual.
- Listen and Learn. Participants watch a DVD clip that illustrates the impact of a crime on the victim and then discuss it as a group.
- Being Accountable for Your Crimes. Participants read sample accountability statements, then discuss and write their own.
- Guest Victim Speaker.
In addition to these sections, each unit includes optional exercises if time permits.
Unit 3 Additional Exercises
- “What Is Important to You?”
- “Leanna” Role Play or Story (replay unit 3 DVD clip prior to this exercise)
- “The Sanchez Family” (emotional impact of property crime)
- “Elisa” (financial costs of property crime)
- “Shanay” (seriousness of property crime)
- Define property crime.
- Explain the impact of property crime on victims.
- Have participants discuss their thoughts and feelings about being held accountable for property loss crimes.
- Apply knowledge of insurance to property losses.
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?