Unit 4: Assault
Time Required: 2.5 hours
This unit provides an overview of aggravated and simple assault and the effects of each on victims.
Units 3 through 12 cover the 10 core crime areas and use varied learning strategies to convey material. Each of these units includes the following sections:
- What Is ...? This section covers a particular crime and provides definitions of relevant Words To Know.
- In the News: Crime Trends asks participants to examine crime statistics and talk about any they find surprising.
- Examples of .... This section provides case studies of crime victims and asks participants to consider, through either discussion or writing exercises, how they would feel if they or one of their family members was a victim of this crime.
- What's the Impact of ...? This section asks participants to consider the ripple effect of crime in four areas of impact: financial, physical, emotional, and religious/spiritual.
- Listen and Learn. Participants watch a DVD clip that illustrates the impact of a crime on the victim and then discuss it as a group.
- Being Accountable for Your Crimes. Participants read sample accountability statements, then discuss and write their own.
- Guest victim speaker.
In addition to these sections, each unit includes optional exercises, if time permits.
Unit 4 Additional Exercises
- Assault Victim Impact Statement
- Newspaper Story (selected in advance; to have participants identify primary and secondary victims of an assault)
- “Ming” (effects of gang-related assault)
- Group Activity (write about or discuss how buying, selling, or using drugs and alcohol is related to victimization)
- Personalizing Victimization (participants pick an assault statistic or scenario and discuss/write their thoughts)
- Define assault and posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Explain the impact of assault crimes on victims.
- Have participants discuss their thoughts and feelings about being held accountable for assault crimes.
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?