Unit 6: Hate and Bias Crime
Time Required: 2.5 hours
This unit discusses hate and bias crimes. These crimes are motivated by hostility and prejudice against a person based on his or her race, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or ethnicity/national origin. Most victims are targeted because they represent a particular group rather than because of any personal conflict or problem with the offender.
Units 3 through 12 cover the 10 core crime areas and use varied learning strategies to convey material. Each of these units includes the following sections:
- What Is ...? This section covers a particular crime and provides definitions of relevant Words To Know.
- In the News: Crime Trends asks participants to examine crime statistics and talk about any they find surprising.
- Examples of .... This section provides case studies of crime victims and asks participants to consider, through either discussion or writing exercises, how they would feel if they or one of their family members was a victim of this crime.
- What's the Impact of ...? This section asks participants to consider the ripple effect of crime in four areas of impact: financial, physical, emotional, and religious/spiritual.
- Listen and Learn. Participants watch a DVD clip that illustrates the impact of a crime on the victim and then discuss it as a group.
- Being Accountable for Your Crimes. Participants read sample accountability statements, then discuss and write their own.
- Guest victim speaker.
In addition to these sections, each unit includes optional exercises, if time permits.
Unit 6 Additional Exercises
- Personalizing Victimization (writing activity)
- “Dong and Jee” Group Activity (replay unit DVD clip prior to this exercise)
- Victim Impact Statement
- Define hate and bias crime.
- Provide examples of hate and bias crimes.
- Describe current trends for hate and bias crimes.
- Explain the impact of hate and bias crime on victims.
- Have participants discuss their thoughts and feelings about being held accountable for hate and bias crimes.
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
- Facilitator Manual (Unit 6) (PDF, 432 KB)
- Participant Workbook (Unit 6) (PDF, 589 KB)
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.
DVD clip. Hate and Bias Crime—Jee Young
Preview (Windows Media Player, 11 MB), (Quicktime, 15 MB)
audio transcript (PDF, 106 KB), YouTube
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?