Unit 9: Child Abuse and Neglect
Time Required: 2.5 hours
This unit discusses the four main types of child maltreatment: physical abuse, child neglect, sexual abuse, and emotional abuse. These may occur separately or in combination. Emotional abuse is almost always present when other forms are identified.
The consequences of child abuse and neglect can be serious and long term. Abused and neglected children may experience lifelong patterns of depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, or lack of empathy, and may engage in inappropriate or troubled relationships.
Units 3 through 12 cover the 10 core crime areas and use varied learning strategies to convey material. Each of these units includes the following sections:
- What Is ...? This section covers a particular crime and provides definitions of relevant Words To Know.
- In the News: Crime Trends asks participants to examine crime statistics and talk about any they find surprising.
- Examples of .... This section provides case studies of crime victims and asks participants to consider, through either discussion or writing exercises, how they would feel if they or one of their family members was a victim of this crime.
- What's the Impact of ...? This section asks participants to consider the ripple effect of crime in four areas of impact: financial, physical, emotional, and religious/spiritual.
- Listen and Learn. Participants watch a DVD clip that illustrates the impact of a crime on the victim and then discuss it as a group.
- Being Accountable for Your Crimes. Participants read sample accountability statements, then discuss and write their own.
- Guest victim speaker.
In addition to these sections, each unit includes optional exercises, if time permits.
Unit 9 Additional Exercises
- Categories of Child Maltreatment (group activity)
- “Nia” Writing Activity (replay DVD clip prior to this exercise)
- “Drugs Don't Hurt” Role Play
- “Letter” Ripple Effect Activity
- “Ron” Group Discussion (replay DVD clip prior to this exercise)
- Define child abuse and neglect.
- Provide examples of child abuse and neglect.
- Describe current trends for child abuse and neglect crimes.
- Explain the impact of child abuse and neglect on victims.
- Discuss thoughts and feelings about being held accountable for child abuse and neglect crimes.
To download files, right click on the file and select "save target as."Training Manuals
*PDFs of the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.
Video clips for the full curriculum are in the Presenter's Toolbox.Need Help Downloading?