Grant Writing and Other Funding Strategies for Victim Service Providers
1.4 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be offered for this training.
Sustainability is a core issue for all victim service organizations, and federal grants and other funding resources can provide support as well as opportunities for innovation in service provision. Here is a training designed for professionals working in victim service organizations that rely at least in part on grant funding. The goal of this 2-day training is to provide the information and skills you need to identify grant opportunities, write successful proposals, and navigate the federal funding process and basics of grant management. A walk-through of federal funding Web sites and practice working with scenarios and a sample case study will keep you fully engaged and motivated.
Active participation in each of the following training modules will help you accomplish these specific learning objectives:
- Understanding Federal Funding
- Describe each step in the federal funding process.
- Distinguish between grants and cooperative agreements.
- Describe three ways to find grant announcements.
- Assessing Organizational Readiness
- Ensure that funding needs align with the organization's mission.
- Assess whether your organization has the expertise to apply for grants, and the experience to use funding appropriately.
- Identify the staff who should have input into the decision to apply for a grant.
- Describe some of the internal costs involved with applying for a grant.
- Responding to Grant Announcements
- Find appropriate funding opportunities online.
- Describe issues to consider before downloading and completing a grant application.
- Explain how to find and complete a grant application package.
- Describe how to prepare to write a grant application.
- Writing a Grant Proposal
- Describe the sections that are often required in a grant proposal.
- Describe the purpose and content of the narrative.
- Describe the purpose and content of the evaluation plan.
- Describe the items to include in a budget and budget narrative.
- Identify information that may be included in appendices.
- Other Funding Sources
- Describe where to find funding from state and local governments.
- Describe where to find funding from foundations.
- Describe the purpose of the Centers for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of various funding sources.
- Managing the Grant
- Explain what typically happens when an award is granted.
- Describe tasks and reports that may be required to manage a grant.
- Describe documents that may be required to close out a grant.