When quality care, compassionate responses, and essential services are provided, victims will be more empowered to meet their individual goals along their healing journey.
Smart Practice: Key Characteristics of a Skilled Provider Working With Trauma Survivors
- Understands that certain survivor behaviors are a response to trauma.
- Is knowledgeable regarding the mental health [and substance abuse] effects of violence and in particular, sexual violence.
- Is skilled and knowledgeable regarding trauma and trauma treatment.
- Is able to provide culturally competent services and seeks supervision regarding cultural issues.
- Is responsive to emergency mental health issues of clients.
Source: Helping Sexual Assault Survivors with Multiple Victimizations and Needs: A Guide for Agencies Serving Sexual Assault Survivors (Davies, 2007) [PDF 331KB]
For additional information and tools, visit the Resource page for Chapter 4 Supporting Victims.