OVC has a variety of resources available to help individuals identify and respond to vicarious trauma, including self-paced trainings, webinars, and resources focused on self-care.
In addition to the resources below, individuals can apply for a Professional Development Scholarship to attend a vicarious trauma-focused conference or training. Go to the OVC Professional Development Scholarship page for more information about this program and how you can apply.
Organizations can also request free training and technical assistance (TTA) focused on ways to recognize and respond to negative vicarious trauma on individuals, including:
- Customized Training and Technical Assistance—OVC delivers tailored TTA to meet your organization's needs on various victimizations and crime and victim assistance topics, for example—
- Understanding burnout, compassion fatigue, and vicarious trauma in victim advocates
- Healthy ways of responding to vicarious trauma and compassion fatigue
- Standardized Training—Select a training from our catalog of topics. OVC will provide instructors, an onsite coordinator, instructor training materials, and a manual for each participant. See description of the OVC Compassion Fatigue/Vicarious Trauma training below.
- Speaker Support—OVC provides speakers for short general presentations at your event, including plenaries, panels, or victim impact presentations.
If your organization is interested in TTA, go to the "how we can help" page. You can also call
1–866–OVC–TTAC (1–866–682–8822) or send an email to TTAC@ovcttac.org to speak with a TTA specialist about requesting free TTA.
REQUEST TRAINING AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
Access interactive training in a variety of subject areas. Programs are available to take on your own schedule, at your own pace, from your own computer.
Length: 1 hour
Organizations can gather a group of victim service and allied professionals in your area and arrange a meeting space. OVC will provide instructors, an onsite coordinator, and a manual for each participant.
Compassion Fatigue/Vicarious Trauma
CEUs: 1.1 CEUs Length: 2 Days
The following webinars provide information related to vicarious trauma. Learn about upcoming webinars.
Addressing Vicarious Trauma for the Individual
Date: August 22, 2018Length: 1 hour