Continuing Education Unit (CEU) will be offered for this training.
A trauma-informed organization is one where all practices and services are viewed through the lens of trauma. In a trauma-informed organization, programs respond empathically to survivor needs, ensure their physical and emotional safety, develop realistic goals, and avoid re-traumization. This training provides guidance in how your organization can become trauma-informed and how to modify policies and procedures to respond to trauma victims.
Audience: This training is designed for those responsible for designing and implementing their organization's programs and policies.
Introductory Week: The Impact of Trauma
- Week 1: The Layers of a Trauma-Informed Approach
- Define "trauma."
- Describe secondary traumatic stress.
- Discuss the Socio-Ecological Model for trauma as a public health issue.
- Describe the concept of "being trauma-informed."
- Explain the benefits of being a trauma-informed organization.
- Define your organization's commitment to being a trauma-informed organization.
- Week 2: The Foundation of a Trauma-Informed Organization
- Describe the six key principles of a trauma-informed approach.
- Identify the 10 implementation domains of a trauma-informed approach within organizations.
- Discuss the roles that governance and leadership play in a trauma-informed approach within an organization.
- Explain how a trauma-informed approach can be implemented through an organization's physical environment.
- Explore how a trauma-informed approach can be implemented by engaging and involving trauma victims, survivors, and their families in the organization's functions.
- Discuss the role cross-sector collaboration plays in an organization's trauma-informed approach.
- Week 3: Assessing Your Organization
- Explain the importance of assessing your organization's readiness to complete a trauma-informed assessment.
- Evaluate the results of a trauma-informed organizational assessment.
- Discuss how an organization can implement trauma-informed approaches through progress monitoring, quality assurance, and evaluation.
- Week 4: Developing Your Organization's Trauma-Informed Approach
- Distinguish the differences between trauma-informed care, trauma-specific interventions, and trauma-informed services.
- Explain how to align trauma-informed practices with an organization's mission.
- Discuss how trauma-informed approaches can be implemented through an organization's policies, financing, and human resources systems.
- Explore screening, assessment, and treatment strategies that can support an organization's initiative to be trauma-informed.
- Develop a preliminary plan for your organization's trauma-informed approach.